• Register

Information for users from the old Q&A site
If you have an account from our old Q&A site, your account was transferred over, but you need to reset your password and confirm your email address.
Reset Password here
Confirm Email here

2,234 questions

3,904 answers


105,629 users

what would you call this crystal? additional growth and hair-like minerals

0 votes

hello, I have been searching for answers much less a place to ask questions about what kind of quartz crystal is this. I added direct links to some images but it is a simple quartz crystal with some kind of clear/burnt orange/brown mineral growth con-caving in the back. Also, there are black, hair like objects growing upward(I am guessing rutilated quartz). Any information on what this form of crystal is would be much appreciated.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i450/justpassingthrough23/IMG_4196.jpg http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i450/justpassingthrough23/IMG_4193.jpg http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i450/justpassingthrough23/IMG_4192.jpg http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i450/justpassingthrough23/IMG_4191.jpg http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i450/justpassingthrough23/IMG_4189.jpg

Many thanks, Kelly

asked Mar 19, 2012 by thewanderingwest (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Hi, It looks like those are tourmaline inclusions in quartz. This is sometimes called tourmalinated quartz. I couldnt identify the exact color from the photos - if they are golden needles, then its rutilated quartz, and if the needles are black then its tourmalinated quartz.

More info: http://www.minerals.net/mineral-variety/gemstone/Tourmalinated_Quartz.aspx http://www.minerals.net/mineral-variety/Mineral/Tourmalinated_Quartz.aspx

answered Mar 20, 2012 by hershel (52,780 points)