• Register

Information for users from the old Q&A site
If you have an account from our old Q&A site, your account was transferred over, but you need to reset your password and confirm your email address.
Reset Password here
Confirm Email here

2,237 questions

3,912 answers


129,092 users

I have a chunk of Indonesian Agatized Palm Root rough. What is the correct name for this mat'l.

0 votes

asked Jan 22, 2019 by arbayowling (600 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
It would be proper to refer to it either way. It is technically both. Petrified wood is technically fossilized wood, over time, as waters rich with silica penetrated the wood, some of the biological material gets replaced and agatizes. To avoid confusion, I would categorize this as agatized, petrified wood. Or Petrified wood (agatized).
answered Jan 23, 2019 by Weasel (58,980 points)
I have been advised it stems from what is called a Death Plate consisting of agatized larvae and is not palm. Thus need an absolute correct identification for this rocks origin. I argue it's from a petrified palm root ball that has become agatized. It is marketed on eBay as Indonesian Agitized Palm Root rough. Need help please.